In honor of this day, here are some facts you should know:
- Around the world 62 million girls are not in school.
- Globally, 1 in 3 women will experience gender-based violence in her lifetime.
- In the developing world, 1 in 7 girls is married before her 15th birthday, with some child brides as young as 8 or 9.
- Each year more than 287,000 women, 99 percent of them in developing countries, die from pregnancy- and childbirth-related complications.
- While women make up more than 40 percent of the agriculture labor force only 3 to 20 percent are landholders.
- In Africa, women-owned enterprises make up as little as 10 percent of all businesses. In South Asia, that number is only 3 percent.
- Despite representing half the global population, women comprise less than 20 percent of the world’s legislators.
- In January 2015, only 17% of government ministers globally were women (Inter-Parliamentary Union, 2015).
- Around the world, women are paid less than men, in most countries earning on average 60%-75% of men’s wages (World Bank Gender Data Portal, 2015).